Ok, so I feel like some of you might tend to think that I'm Super-Woman or Super-Mom. I'm not. I know I don't often post about our rough days, my shortcomings, or my kids not-so-great behavior. It's not because we don't have them...I just try to do my best to focus on the good days and happy times.
Also, I never ever want to give anyone the impression that I'm discontent with my life. Yes, it's not always easy being a mama to three babies under two and half, but it's what God has called me to do, and I wouldn't trade it for the world!
That being said, I thought I'd share some "confessions" so you all know I'm 100% human! :)
- I have had more cooking failures in the last 2 months than I've had in my entire life.
- Our bathtub hasn't been cleaned since 2 weeks before Asher was born. Yes, that's 7 weeks if you're counting.
- I lose my patience more than I ever thought possible.
- My house hasn't been vacuumed since Asher was born...although it's been on my to do list for going on 3 weeks.
- I've only "done" my hair twice since Asher was born. My new normal is a pony tail or messy bun.
- My kids often portray less than spectacular behavior. They don't like to share, they bite, they hit, they throw fits.
- There is about half an inch of dust on our bookshelves.
- I get frustrated.
- I usually can't remember when I had my last shower.
- Asher has cried himself to sleep several times...not because I'm a fan of the Cry It Out method, but because there are two other little ones who need my attention.
- I say (or think) "I can't do this!" often, but then remember that I can through God's strength.
- Lily and Levi had cheese cubes, frozen peas, cheddar bunny crackers and fruit for lunch at least four times last week.
- Some days I find myself counting the
hoursminutes til naptime or bedtime.
- I allow my kids to make huge messes since it keeps them occupied while I feed Asher. For example, today, Levi pulled 38 diapers out of a package and scattered them all over the living room, and it was totally ok with me.
- My kids average two baths per week. I don't have the energy to bathe them every day.
- Some days I just want to run away and live in a hole.
- I try to remember to put makeup on before leaving the house...doesn't always happen.
- I fall into bed utterly exhausted every night and usually can't even remember if my hubby kisses me goodnight...he says he always does!
Some of you have asked "How do you do it?!" Besides God's amazing grace, these are some practical things that help keep me sane throughout the chaos:
- Having devotions everyday. Right now that consists of reading a devotional on my phone during Asher's 4:00am feeding.
- Going to bed with a clean kitchen sink. My day just goes so much better if I don't wake up to a sink full of dirty dishes.
- Picking up the house every night.
- Doing one load of laundry from start to finish everyday (except Saturday and Sunday).
- Eating dark chocolate everyday.
- Putting the computer away when the babes are awake.
- Getting some type of exercise (besides running after babies) everyday.
- Snuggling my precious babes and remembering that this season will pass way too quickly!
Hope this gives you all some perspective into my insanely crazy wonderful life!

I know you're a great Mama and those babies are so incredibly blessed to have you to raise them. I also know that it's a trial each day to find the energy to trail after them and somehow manage to pick up all the pieces to the puzzle that has seemed to gone into disarray. But, you're right. God has it in His hands and gave you what He knew you can handle and as long as you know that in your heart, that's all that matters. You're doing great sweet Mama!
ReplyDeleteI loved this post! I can relate to many of the bullets on your list. I loved the one about the kitchen sink because I am the same way! I clean the kitchen before bed and if that's the only thing I get done, that is fine with me!
ReplyDeleteI do the same thing on our blog, focus on the good things. I find that it makes me focus on them more in real life too. I have been trying to remind myself that God doesn't give me things I can't handle so if I am struggling, all that means is I haven't found the way to handle the situation yet but I do have it within me because the situation was brought to my life! I'm not sure I worded that well but hopefully it makes sense!
Have a great day!
I totally understand!! :) and, none of us are super woman. We all have times of messy houses and unwashed hair and kids! It's okay! love them and play with them and enjoy!
ReplyDeleteYou are amazing! Messy houses and dirty hair does not matter to our kiddos... mommy's love does! You are doing an awesome job and you're such an encouragement! Time does fly so let the other stuff go and enjoy your sweet babies!
ReplyDeleteI love your honesty! You sound like such an amazing mom!!
ReplyDeleteI'm always amazed how easily I lose my patience with my kids too, but you are so right to be leaning on the Lord to get you through!
I loved this post too! Sometimes it's good to be real...we're all in the same place, and it's great to know others can relate! Without God's grace and help, where we would we be?? Being a mom is the hardest yet most wonderful thing in the world! You're right - this will go by fast so we need to enjoy the good times and forget the hard times! Thanks for your encouragement :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for this post! It made me smile. I am in the same place you are right now and it is nice to know that I'm not the only one who feels like you do. Sometimes I wish I could have a little break (a day at a spa would be nice), but I wouldn't trade my life right now for anything. Your blog is truly an encouragement to me, thank you!
ReplyDeleteI've always appreciated your humility and desire to "keep it real" on your blog. I think that is why it is one of my favorites to read.
ReplyDeleteNo doubt it can be an uphill battle each day with three little ones and I've said it before, but I am seriously impressed by your ability to function at all, let alone to update your blog, bake things and do some exercise at home, too! That being said, I don't think you are trying to be a "Supermom," but a loving, devoted momma who depends on God's grace and strength and gives herself room to grow.
I say enjoy the babies while you have them and let the rest go for now. :)
What a beautifully honest post, Kelly. I'm sure you're doing great! I'm totally with you about a clean sink. My hubby doesn't understand but I always try to go to bed with a clean sink!
ReplyDeleteBeen there, AM there my friend! :)
ReplyDeleteI loved this post, Kelly. Thank you. "Keeping it real" is a great way to encourage other moms :) Despite the crazy days, which happen more often than not, I know that I am really, really going to miss this one day. Love the pics of you and your little ones!
ReplyDeleteI loved this peek into your real life! It's always wonderful to know you are not alone in this mothering journey. :)
ReplyDeleteYou are doing great!
Jessica
You are an inspiration to me. Your "confessions" have some included on my list too and I only have a 2 1/2 year old. It's so hard sometimes and I find myself asking for grace and forgiveness a lot through the day. What keeps me going is often thinking "the days are long but the years are short". You're doing great, momma :).
ReplyDeletePretty sure I can relate to everything you just posted -- especially when I had a newborn in the house! So thankful for God's grace and new mercies -- we don't have to earn it!
ReplyDeleteKelly, Thank you for being so open and honest in this post! I can relate to so much of what you shared. You are an inspiration to me and I know God is giving you so much grace during this busy season!
ReplyDeleteI so enjoyed reading this post about the "real" side of life! Definitely relate to most of what you said. And just for a little confession of my own....my husband is the one who does the dishes for me at night! It is a HUGE help to start the day of with a clean sink but something I'm just not always able to do myself so it's awesome that he volunteers to do it. Thanks for sharing this with us! I still think you're an amazing mom though. :)
ReplyDeleteTyra
I only have two kids- and yet have experienced so many of those same things. I can only IMAGINE how those are compounded by adding a third.wow. I'm so glad that you're still poking out blog posts so that you'll have something to remember these days by. I am completely in awe of you, and wish I lived closer so that I could help you. You're doing an incredible job; your children are gorgeous; and these days won't last forever. (hugs) btw- LOVED the honesty of this post. (-:
ReplyDeleteA lot of the things you wrote sounds like my life! lol Being a momma to little ones certainly isn't easy but we do what we gotta do sometimes to get through the day! You're doing great!
ReplyDeleteOkay, so I feel totally normal now :) We are so much alike :) Thanks for sharing! I know it's not your typical post, but I enjoyed reading it!
ReplyDeleteIt is always easy to feel like somebody else has the "perfect" life when we read their blog and only see/read the good stuff. :) But, really, who wants to post the bad stuff? :) Right now my kitchen is very cluttered even though I loaded and ran the d/w this morning. The dining room table hasn't been cleaned off totally since before Sylvia was born... I haven't vacuumed the floors in going on 2 weeks, and the toilet is growing scum. I have never bathed my babies every day, right now my goal is 3x/week: Tue, Thurs, Sat. If I get a shower a couple times a week it's great!! Most days I have no idea what to feed us for meals. I'm running out of frozen meals that were given to us (they were SUCH a blessing!!) so I will really have to get back to cooking again soon! And I've decided to jump into potty training my 2 y.o. this week. I'm not sure yet how it's going... but that keeps me hopping when she's awake. I thoroughly enjoy the quiet and non-gogogogo time when she is napping!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for keepin' it real. We are ALL real. Some people's real is just prettier, I think... but those people usually don't have babies in diapers is what I've decided. ;) You're doing an amazing job being mommy to 3 little people. They won't remember if you "did" your hair every day or once a month.
((hugs))
Wow, you are such an inspiration. It's calming to know that I'm not the only one with some of these feelings. I don't have a newborn, but I do have a 2 1/2 year old, a 16 month old and a 15 year old. I agree, there are days I just want to hide in the basement, put some food & drinks within their reach. (of course I wouldn't actually do it). Thank you for writing this. God has surely blessed you. Enjoy them while they're still little cause they do indeed grow so fast.
ReplyDelete